Foobar2000 is a lightweight, minimalist audio player and best of all it is freeware.
Despite the fact that foobar2000 can run on hardware that other players (like iTunes) would instantly kill, it’s no less a great audio player for even the most powerful computer. Foobar2000 is fully configurable as well as wonderfully compact and efficient. For example, I’m a big fan of keyboard shortcuts, and foobar2000 lets you easily set them up to do pretty much whatever you like.
If you’re still trying to find your favorite audio player, or if you’re like me and what you want out of your audio player is constantly changing, the newest version of foobar2000 is really worth checking out, especially if your main concern is playing high quality audio quickly and easily.
NOTE: Windows 2000, XP or newer is now required.
- Audio formats supported: MP1, MP2, MP3, MP4, MPC, AAC, Ogg Vorbis, FLAC / Ogg FLAC, WavPack, WAV, AIFF, AU, SND, CDDA.
- Full unicode support.
- Advanced tagging capabilities.
- Support for transcoding all supported audio formats using the Converter component (requires external commandline encoder executables for different output formats).
- ReplayGain support – both playback and calculation.
- Customizable keyboard shortcuts.
- Open component architecture allowing third-party developers to extend functionality of the player.